Alaska Motorcycle Driver’s License
Are you bored of riding a four-wheeled vehicle? Why don’t you get a motorcycle driver’s license and make a go of riding a motorcycle on Alaskan roadways? Learn how to get a motorcycle license in Alaska and put the excitement back on your road trips around the state.
Basic Requirements for the License
In order to legally ride a motorcycle, scooter or motorized bicycle and similar conveyance with 50 cc or less of displacement in Alaska, you have to know about the following requirements:
To Obtain a Motorcycle (M1) License
- Must be at least 16 years old, and must have held an instruction permit for a minimum of six months.
- Applicants under 18 years old must have parental consent.
- Pass the written knowledge test or present a valid Alaska learner’s permit or driver’s license.
- Pass the written motorcycle knowledge test or present a valid motorcycle instruction permit.
- Pass the vision test
- Pay the necessary fees.
- Pass the motorcycle road test using a motorcycle that has a greater than 50 cc displacement.
With regards to the motorcycle test and the motorcycle road test, applicants can also pass a card issued by Motorcycle Safety Foundation showing that they have passed a Motorcycle Rider Course instead of getting the exam. There are different kinds of motorcycle rider course but the applicant must complete it within the current or previous year.
To Obtain a Motorcycle (M2) License
- Applicants for original motorcycle permit must be 14 or 15 years of age and must have a parental consent.
- Must pass the written knowledge test or present a valid Alaska learner’s permit.
- Must pass the motorcycle knowledge test or present a valid motorcycle instruction permit.
- Pass the vision test
- Pay your fees.
- Pass the motorcycle road test.
How to get an Instruction Permit?
In Alaska, an applicant for a motorcycle instruction permit must be at least 14 years old. If you are younger than 18, a parental consent is required in order to obtain the permit. Aside from that, applicants must show two pieces of identification; one will prove your date of birth and another as proof of your identity.
Applicants should pass the necessary test prior to being issued a motorcycle instruction permit such as:
- Written knowledge test
- Written motorcycle knowledge test
- Vision test
If you successfully pass the required test and provide the necessary papers, you obtain your Motorcycle driver’s license permit that is valid for two years from the date of issue. Since last July 1, 2007, permits can be renewed one time only.
An applicant will be required to pass the following tests prior to being issued a motorcycle instruction permit. The permit is valid for two years from the date of issue. Effective July 1, 2007, a permit can be renewed ONE TIME, ONLY. Also, keep in mind that while you are learning how to drive a motorcycle, you have to be accompanied by a person of at least 21 years of age who has held a motorcycle license in the same class for at least a year.
Once you have your motorcycle driver’s license, always remember to follow the laws of the state about helmets and safety cautions. Motorcycling is an exciting activity but you have to avoid risks for yourself and the people around you.