Georgia Motorcycle Driver’s License
In Georgia, in obtaining your motorcycle driver’s license, you will be applying for a Class M license. This license will allow you to operate legally a motorcycle or any motor-driven cycle in Georgia. Under the law of Georgia, all types of motorcycles including scooters, motorbikes, and minibikes with 51 cc engine size or more belong into one classification. All are considered as motor-driven cycles.
Requirements for a Georgia Motorcycle License
Here are the requirements for applicants over 18 years old who wanted to obtain a Class M license:
- Complete the application form and submit the original copy in person.
- Have your picture taken and give a thumb print.
- Pay the necessary fees.
- Pass the vision test. However you are exempted to get the exam if you have passed the test within the last year to get another license in Georgia.
- Pass the signs and traffic laws exams.
- Book an appointment for your written examination to your local DDS office.
- Provide a parent or guardian to sign on the form.
- Provide proof that you have finished driver’s education and driver training.
- Provide proof of identity such as birth date and legal status documentation.
- Provide your social security number.
Since all applicants must pass an eye test and an examination of motorcycle knowledge therefore they have to get a Class MP instructional permit. It is not mandatory for Class M applicants to get the permit before taking the Class M examination but road test reservation is available only to applicants with Class MP permit. This permit is valid for 6 months with the following restrictions:
- Must be at least 16 years old and have parental consent especially applicants under the age of 18.
- Applicants under 18 years old must present a Certificate of Attendance or Form DS-1.
- Must complete a Driver’s Education Training.
- No motorcycle operation at night.
- No passengers allowed.
- Follow the safety equipment as prescribed by the law of state.
One of the test that a motorcycle driver’s license applicant must pass is the driving test. You will have to provide a motorcycle for the test and pass a safety inspection of the motorcycle, administered by the license examiner before the start of the driving test. To get motorcycle operator’s testing information, see the Motorcycle Operator’s Manual and the Motorcycle Safety Program.
Once all the necessary requirements for a Class M license are met by the applicant and also possess a Class C or combination of the other classes of permits, that motorcycle driver’s license must be surrendered and a photographic license obtaining the Class M endorsement will be issued.
By completing all the requirements and passing the road test and written examination, you can finally obtain your Georgian motorcycle driver’s license.