Iowa Motorcycle Driver’s License
If you can’t resist the urge to ride a motorcycle and tour around the state of Iowa, make sure then that you have your motorcycle driver’s license. Just like any other state, Iowa requires all residents to have a valid motorcycle license before they can operate a motorcycle.
Iowa offers a Class M license that can be obtain by getting an instruction permit. This permit will allow you to operate a motorcycle only if accompanied by a licensed driver. The person will accompany you and must remain within sight and hearing distance at all times. Your motorcycle instruction permit is valid for two years. It will be added to your valid Iowa driver’s license.
Basic Requirements for the License
You can get your permit at any DOT Office in your area with the following requirement:
- Applicants must study the motorcycle operator’s manual and if you don’t have a regular license, you should study the Iowa Driver’s Manual for the road test.
- Complete the application and pass the original copy in person.
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the signs and traffic laws examination is required for applicants who have not yet got another license.
- Pass the motorcycle operator’s examination.
- Book an appointment to write your examination at your local DOT office. Get the hours and locations for the exam.
Avoiding the Skills Test
The State of Iowa will also waive your skills test and will issue you a motorcycle driver’s license if you were able to complete an approved basic motorcycle rider safety course. When you successfully completed a motorcycle safety course, you will be eligible for a motorcycle driver’s license without having to take the road test.
Before you head to the nearest DOT office to apply for a motorcycle driver’s license, make sure that you have the following required documents:
- Original birth certificate issued in any state.
- Driver’s license or instruction permit issued in another state.
- U.S passport
- Iowa ID card
- Social security number
- Marriage certificate
However, you do not need an Iowa’s driver’s license if you:
- Are driving a military motorcycle or motor vehicle while on duty with the US Armed Forces.
- Are driving farm equipment between the home farm and the nearby farmland.
- A student or visitor in the State of Iowa and have a current license from your home state or country.
Once all your licensing requirements are completed and you were able to pass the entire important test, a Class M endorsement will be added to your driver’s license. You have then your motorcycle driver’s license that will allow you to drive a motorcycle down Iowa’s open roads.