Mississippi Motorcycle Driver’s License
Driving a motorcycle in the State of Mississippi requires you to have a motorcycle driver’s license or motorcycle endorsement on your regular Class R driver’s license. To obtain a motorcycle endorsement you must be at least 17 years old and should pass both the written and driving skills test.
Basic Requirements for the License
The motorcycle endorsement is valid for four years. Applicants who are over 18 years of age must complete the following requirements to obtain a motorcycle license or endorsement:
- Complete the application form and submit the original copy in person.
- Have your picture taken and give a thumb print.
- Pay the required fee.
- Pass the vision test
- Pass the signs and traffic laws examination.
- Set an appointment to write your examination by calling your local DPS Office for hours and locations.
For new applicants between 17 and 18 years old must complete the requirements listed above and the following:
- Provide a parent or guardian signature on the application form.
- Present proof that you have successfully completed a driver’s education and driver training course or present your Mississippi driver’s license.
- Provide proof of identity
- Present your true full name
- Present your social security number
Once you were able to complete the aforementioned prerequisites given above, you will be given an instruction permit that will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle for a year. However, you have to comply with the following restrictions:
- No driving on highways
- No driving during the evening
- Do not carry any passengers.
While practicing with your instruction permit, you must be supervised by a licensed driver over 21 years old who must have held a valid driver’s license and should be on another motorcycle alongside you or another vehicle behind you.
Once you are confident to get the skills test, ask your local DPS office for an appointment to take the driving test. If you have the skills, you can take the test the same day you get your permit. When getting a motorcycle license, be sure to have your permit and a motorcycle with proper documentation. If you pass the driving test, you will be issued a motorcycle driver’s license or motorcycle endorsement on your regular Mississippi driver’s license (Class R).
Avoiding the Skills Test
If you hold an out-of-state license which is valid for the operation of motorcycles, the written and skills test may be waived. Also, if you finished a Motorcycle Safety Foundation your driving skills test may be waived by the DPS office. The courses offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation offers safety riding courses in six locations throughout the state of Mississippi. When you are ready to apply for your motorcycle driver’s license or motorcycle endorsement, you will need to take the following identification and information to your local DPS office:
- Certified birth certificate
- Social security number
- Proof of residency
- Pay the appropriate fees
After getting your motorcycle driver’s license or endorsement, you can drive a motorcycle anywhere in the state but according to the guidelines of DPS in Mississippi you must wear a crash helmet of the type approved by the American Association of Motor vehicle Administrators.