Montana Motorcycle Driver’s License
Getting a motorcycle driver’s license is strongly encouraged if you wanted to drive around Montana in a motorcycle. You can apply for a motorcycle learner’s permit and endorsement at any driver exam station in Montana.
Basic Requirements for the License
You must be at least sixteen (16) years of age or fifteen (15) years of age and have passed a driver’s education course approved by the Montana Department of Justice and the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
To obtain your first motorcycle driver’s license, you must:
- Be at least 15 years old and have a proof that you successfully completed a state – approved driver’s education course.
- Must be resident of Montana.
- Have a parental consent if you are below 18 years of age.
- Pass the written, driving and vision test.
- Provide proof of identity.
- Provide proof that you’re a citizen of United State or was legally cleared to be residing in the country.
- Pay $40 as a licensing fee and the endorsement fee.
Note: The driver’s education course must be approved by the Montana Department of Justice and the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
To get a learner’s permit, new applicants must complete the following requirements:
- Set up an appointment for the knowledge test. Study the motorcycle supplement or manual.
- Fill up the application form and pass the original copy.
- Pay the required fess.
- Pass the vision test.
- Submit proof of identity and other required documents.
- Pass the written motorcycle test.
However, there is an exception to this rule. You may obtain a motorcycle instruction permit if:
- You are 14 ½ years old.
- You are enrolled in a traffic education course.
- You are under the immediate supervision of an accredited driver or accompanied by an education instructor.
Passing the Test
It is a must that applicants of motorcycle driver’s license will undertake the motorcycle driver’s test. The examination is divided into five sections; the driving record review, physical aptitude review, and vision, written and skills test.
Pass that knowledge test with our custom practice exam! Click Here for more info.
- Proper registration.
- At least one headlamp that will cast a beam at least 500 feet.
- One break that can be operated by foot or hand.
- Working directional signals.
- A license plate light.
- A horn audible for at least 200 feet.
- A visible headlight.
To learn more about these requirements, read the motorcycle supplement. If you fail the road and skills test, you will be issued a Motorcycle Learner’s License that will allow you to operate a motorcycle but must be under the supervision of a licensed motorcycle driver. This permit is valid for six months.
A person with a valid Montana driver’s license can apply for a motorcycle endorsement by:
- Booking an appointment for the skills test in a driver exam station.
- Must attend with a registered and properly fitted motorcycle.
- Pass the skills test for your endorsement.
Completing all the licensing requirements is important in order to get your motorcycle endorsement or motorcycle driver’s license, only then that you are free to ride a motorcycle around the state.
3 thoughts on “How to Get a Motorcycle Driver’s License in Montana”
Thanks a lot for sharing this with all people you really realize what you’re speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please additionally consult with my site =). We may have a link change contract between us
Where in Montana can one take a motorcycle class, basic or otherwise?
Hi, Patrick. Here is a link to our list of Montana riding schools.
Thanks for reaching out.