May 26, 2024

How to Get a Motorcycle Driver’s License in New Mexico

New Mexico Motorcycle Driver’s License

New Mexico Motorcycle Driver's License

To ride a motorcycle and see the beautiful scenery anywhere in the state of New Mexico is a motorists’ dream. To realize this dream, you need to get first a motorcycle permit that will allow you to operate a motorcycle or any motor driven vehicle in New Mexico.

To obtain a motorcycle license, you can apply at any MVD office in New Mexico. However, you have to get a motorcycle permit first. For new applicants over 18 years old, you will get a motorcycle permit by applying for a Class M1 license. Listed below are the requirements to obtain a Class M1 license:

  • Complete the application form and submit the original form in person.
  • Have your picture taken and give a thumb print.
  • Pay an application fee.
  • Pass the vision test.
  • Pass the signs and traffic laws examination.
  • Book an appointment for your written at your local MVD office.

Pass that knowledge test with our custom practice exam! Click Here for more info.

    • For new applicants below 18 years of age must complete the requirements given above as well as the following:
    • Provide a parent or guardian’s signature on the consent form.
    • Provide proof of completion of a driver’s education and driver training program or present your New Mexico driver’s license.
    •  Provide proof of legal presence.
    • Provide proof of residency or two alternative documents.

Once you complete the requirements given above, you will be given an instruction permit that will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle supervised by a driver sitting behind you and is 21 years old or above and who has held a motorcycle license in any state for at least three years. Any person who are between 13 and 16 years old are eligible to get a permit for motorcycles up to an engine capacity of 100cc only.

The instruction permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle but with the following restrictions:

    • No driving on the highway.
    • No driving between midnight and 5 am except under certain conditions.
    • You are not allowed to ride with any passengers.

The Class M motorcycle license comes with three endorsement levels, depending on your age and how powerful the motorcycle that you are riding.

W endorsement – for 100cc and larger motorcycles and issued to applicants who are 15 years old as long as you have completed a driver’s education course.

Y endorsement – for motorcycle between 50cc and 100cc and issued to applicants as young as 13.

Z endorsement – issued to applicants who are 13 years old and above and limits riders to motorcycle with a displacement of less than 50cc.

Applying for a motorcycle endorsement to your current driver’s license is the same as applying for a regular New Mexico driver’s license. You have to supply all required documents and pass the written, vision and road skills test. To undertake the driving skills test, you have to schedule the test on your local MVD office and bring your license and provisional motorcycle license with you. When you take the riding or on cycle test, you will need to do it on the type of motorcycle you wish to be licensed for.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *