New York Motorcycle Driver’s License
However, there are different application processes if you have a New York driver’s license already or a motorcycle license from another state. So if you are planning to get a motorcycle driver’s license in New York, here are the basic requirements and the necessary information you need.
Basic Requirements for the License
When applying more a motorcycle license:
- Prepare for the motorcycle written test. Study the online MV-21MC NYS Motorcycle Operator’s Manual. The manual is available online, at your local DMV office and DMV Call Center.
- Complete the form MV-44 to get a learner permit and read the MV-44.1 driver license application instructions.
- If you use the EDL forms, you can apply for an Enhanced Driver License (EDL) by following the instructions and the ID requirements.
- If you want to apply for a motorcycle permit as well as a different class of learner permit, you have to apply for the other learner permit first. If you have the other learner’s permit, you have to complete another form MV-44 in order to apply for your motorcycle permit.
- To take the required written test, go to your local DMV Office and bring the completed form MV-44 and your proofs of identity and date of birth then pay the required fees. The fees for Class M or MJ permit/ driver is from $21 to $129. However, the DMV cannot calculate your exact fee until you apply. Remember that the fees you pay depend on whether or not you currently have another NYS license. This could be different also based on your exact age when you apply.
- Pass the written test (key step!) then receive your Class M or Class MJ permit.
- For applicants who
do not have
- another class of NYS driver’s license, your Class M or MJ permit is actually valid for a maximum of five years. But if your permit expires, you have to apply for a new one and take the written test again because you cannot renew this permit.
However, if you have another class of NYS driver license, your Class M or MJ permit is valid for one year only but you can renew this permit for one additional year. You must apply for a new permit and take the motorcycle written test again after your renewal of the permit.
For out-of-State Motorcycle Licenses
If you have a valid motorcycle driver’s license issued by another state where you are a current resident, you are allowed to drive a motorcycle in New York but if you came from another state then became a resident of New York, you have to exchange your out-of-state motorcycle license for a New York State motorcycle license.
What you have to do in order to get a NYS permit is to fill out form MV-44 then bring the completed form to your local DMV office, provide the necessary proof of identity and date of birth then surrender your out-of-state license. After that, pay your fee, take a photo and collect your temporary license but make sure that Class M is listed. Your permanent driver license will arrive through mail in approximately two weeks after your application.