South Dakota Motorcycle Driver’s License
South Dakota requires a motorcycle driver’s license for anyone that wants to ride on streets and highways. The Department of Public Safety in South Dakota offers a motorcycle permit and endorsement to riders 16 years of age or older. Obtaining a motorcycle driver’s license depends upon the applicant’s age and whether he/she is new to the state.
If you are an out-of-state licensed motorcyclist living in South Dakota for more than 90 days, you need to obtain your state license by heading to any exam station in South Dakota to present your old motorcycle driver’s license along with approved documents for your identification. If the examiner determines that your previous state’s licensing requirements meet South Dakota’s standards, you will only have to take and pass the vision test. After passing the vision test you will be granted a South Dakota motorcycle license which is valid for five years or when your visa ends.
Passing the Tests
Fresh applicants for a motorcycle driver’s license, who are over 18 years old, must bring their current driver’s license to the exam station or a certified copy of their birth certificate and other form of identification as well as their social security number. Then you must take these three tests:
Vision Test – You are allowed to use your glasses or contact lenses but if your fail the test, your eye doctor will need to complete a vision statement verifying that our can see well enough to drive.
Knowledge Test – This test is about driving rules, procedures and techniques. All information is available in the South Dakota Motorcycle Manual.
Driving Test – This will test your ability to safely handle routine and everyday driving procedures.
If you successfully pass the tests VICTORY! You will be given a South Dakota motorcycle driver’s license . . . after paying a fee of $8. The license is valid for five years.
On the other hand, applicants who are under 16 years old will get a motorcycle instruction permit that will allow them to operate a motorcycle under the direct supervision of a person who are 21 years older and have held a valid driver’s license.
Basic Requirements for the License
To get apply for instruction permit, applicants must:
- Apply in person at a DMV office.
- Be at least 16 years old and a resident of or domiciled in Oregon.
- Have a valid Driver’s license (Class C or higher)
- Have no suspended, cancelled, revoked or withdrawn driving privileges in Oregon or at any other state.
- Complete and submit a Driver License Application. Those who are under 18 years of age must include their parent or legal guardian’s signature unless married or an emancipated minor.
- Have no medical condition that will hinder them to drive safely.
- Provide proof of their full name.
- Provide proof of their legal presence in the US and proof of identity and date of birth.
- Provide proof of Social Security Number and proof of their residence address.
- Pass the motorcycle knowledge test and the vision screening test.
- Pay the motorcycle instruction permit fee and have their picture taken.
When all the requirements are met, applicants will be issued an interim card to use until they receive the motorcycle instruction permit through mail. The permit will be valid for one year from the date it is issued.